Thursday, May 1, 2008

3. What do you think the play's theme(s) is/are?

So far, I think the play's theme is prejudice and how Anne, her family, and the others that she is hiding with are effected by the prejudice they received from the Germans. They are effected by the prejudice by being forced to go into hiding and to live the secret lives that they now live. Many people had similar situations to Anne in that they were being effected by prejudice from the Germans and they were forced to go into hiding or live in concentration camps. I think that the theme of the play is prejudice because that idea has reoccurred several times throughout the play so far and the whole reason Anne had to go into hiding was because of prejudice.
From reading the next portion of the play, I think that the play's theme is still mainly prejudice, like I mentioned before, but there is also the theme of fear of being discovered by the Germans. Anne, her family, and the others that she is living with are constantly living in fear of being found by the Germans and being taken to a concentration camp or death camp. This is another minor-theme of the play from my perspective. 

1 comment:

KellyK said...

Yes I agree. Prejudice is really shown in this play multiple times. It all started with prejudice as well. Hitler just didn't like certain poeple just because they believed in something different or just was different from him. If there wasn't any prejudice from the beginning, none of this would have happened. We are reminded of prejudice several times. Many people had to do the same thing as Anne's family. Mr Kraler, Miep, and Mr Frank's other friends are not affected by this prejudice. I agree prejudice is the theme. I'm not sure about later on, but so far for what I've read I think you're totally right.
Good job, I really like your response! : )